Monday, May 11, 2009

Golf Tournament For Schools in Vietnam

I heard about an organization that holds golf tournaments every year to raise money to build or refurbish schools in Vietnam. I found out about it last Monday and called that afternoon to see if I could volunteer. I was at the golf course from 9:30 am until almost 6:00 pm. It was great. I helped set up at the front in the morning and then spent the rest of the time at hole 10 talking to the golfers as they got to the hole and offering them food and drinks. It is a beautiful golf course and it was a beautiful day. I had a really nice time, though I was pretty tired and sunscreened that night. They raised over $93,000 in one day! They called me up the very next morning to thank me for volunteering and then invited me to lunch on Friday. I had told them that I want to be as involved as I can in this because it is such a great cause. The man who started it is Vietnamese and most of the people who worked the fundraiser were Vietnamese. All of the money goes toward building the schools in very rural areas and sponsoring children so they can attend. This was only their third tournament and they already had four schools. One of the men is in charge of flying to Vietnam to make sure things are going well. I told them that a lot of people who have adopted children from Vietnam would love to hear about it and get involved. If anyone lives in Southern California, email me and I will let you know when and where the tournament will be next year. I plan on getting involved and doing much more next year and hopefully will golf as well. I am not good enough to golf now so maybe that will be my incentive.
This tournament was on Tuesday, Wednesday I worked on jog-a-thon stuff, Thursday was the jog-a-thon, Friday I had lunch with the people from the golf tournament, and Saturday I was more tired than I think I have ever been. Because besides all of that stuff I still had to bring Brayden to swim team practice and his baseball games, shop, get dinners and lunches ready...mom stuff. I love pretty much everything about being a mom besides getting up before 6:30 am, making lunches and dinner.

No comments: