Wednesday, July 2, 2008

One Year

A year ago we got THE CALL about Sasha. I remember hearing the phone ring and looking right at the clock so I would know what time I got the call. It was weird because we had just run into the house to grab a few things before heading out to a park for a little while with my sister and her girls. I layed down on the couch for a minute and then the phone rang. Even though I had been checking my email constantly, I knew it could be days or weeks before I heard anything. But I knew it was the call when the phone rang. After talking to my caseworker for a minute about nothing, she said, "Are you in front of your computer?" She told me she was sending the information about the baby and a few pictures and to call her later. I yelled up to Ray to have him come downstairs so I could tell him. I wanted it to be special when we first saw her pictures and learned about her. Since my sister was already on the way over I asked if she could just come here and watch my kids so Ray and I could go to his office and get on his computer. We did take a quick peek at a picture before we left ans saw she was adorable. We raced up to his office, which luckily is close by. We sat down and looked at her pictures (there were eight of them) and read the little that goes with the referral. I guess we could have had her medicals looked at by a international doctor, but I didn't want to. There was not a question about whether or not we wanted to adopt her. We sat there for a while in his office looking at her pictures and then printing them off since he has a good printer there. Then we went home and showed them to everyone. It was pretty surreal. I remember thinking that I couldn't believe how lucky I was to be able to adopt her. I kept looking at the pictures trying to figure out what she was like. It was an amazing night. Here it is a year later and I still cannot believe how lucky I am to be able to raise such a sweet and beautiful little girl.
I was putting her to be tonight and telling her about when we first learned about her. She kept trying to get me to play peekaboo with her. The only word she says is, " Mama," but she easily lets us know what she wants. She put one hand over her eyes and then made the sign for "more." When I said "peekaboo" she laughed and signed "more" again. She is just so cute! I usually hold her for a little while at night but put her to bed before she is totally asleep. We had a long day today and spent a lot of time outside so she was tired. She fell asleep pretty quickly and I was able to hold her as she slept. What did I ever do to be so lucky?

1 comment:

Michelle said...

This is so special, Stacey. And I am so happy for you and your family. Sasha is a little dreamboat. :)

Much love